Halloween is a super fun holiday for people of all ages, but it’s especially exciting for kids. Setting aside the really scary stuff, this night (and day) can be tailor-made for little ones. When in doubt go with bright and happy, instead of bloody and horrifying…even if you think they might be old enough to handle it. Because we lead pretty hectic lives during our usual weekly schedule, my family doesn’t get a lot of time to bake together. So the kids know something special is going on when I break out the aprons to make these Halloween Thumbprint Cookies!
I like this recipe in particular because it’s really easy for children to follow and they have fun making it. They also love handing them out to their friends and family members, knowing they baked the treats themselves. They love the not-so-creepy eyeball, and the undivided attention they get from the person they’re baking with. Sometimes it’s me. Sometimes it’s my husband. Sometimes we all get in on the action! (Pretty sure that’s when my kids are happiest.) In this fast-paced world, full of screens and always-present demands, unplugging and bonding in this way is good for everyone involved.
The kids don’t even realize they’re actually getting a lesson (or two, or four) while they’re having fun. Baking has been proven to help children learn and practice math and language skills. It also teaches patience and gives them a sense of accomplishment after seeing the recipe through to completion. You can engage your kids’ senses by asking them to point out what they hear, see, smell and taste in the process. You may even get a more adventurous eater of it. Getting children involved in both cooking and baking helps them understand where their food comes from, and all of the effort that goes into it before it lands on a plate in front of them. I guess what I’m saying is putting a little more sugar in your kids life may not always be a bad thing!
Make Halloween last the entire month of October by choosing a different treat to bake or craft to create every weekend! Remember, the day is going to come soon enough when your little ones want to go out with their friends instead spending extra time at home in the kitchen. So go ahead and make a mess with these Halloween Thumbprint Cookies!
Halloween Thumbprint Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter – softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Wilton bright white candy melts
Wilton vibrant green candy melts
Wilton orange candy melts
Wilton purple candy melts
Wilton large red vein candy eyes
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Add the butter and both sugars to a medium mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, cream together until smooth and creamy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Add the remaining half and stir until all of the ingredients are wet. The batter will be thick and sticky.
6. Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
7. Once chilled, remove from refrigerator. With greased hands, shape the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place on the lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (depending on oven temperatures). Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes.
9. Using a small melon scoop or your thumb, press an indentation into the middle of each cookie.
10. While the cookies are still warm, place a candy melt into each thumbprint. It will start melting right away. Place a candy eye on top.
11. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to completely cool before serving.
12. ENJOY these Halloween Thumbprint Cookies!
Receive Your Free Guide:
10 TRAVEL PRODUCTS
EVERY FAMILY SHOULD OWN
Enter your email below to receive your free guide to the 10 travel products every traveling family should own. You'll also be subscribed to our weekly newsletter, filled with luxury travel inspiration for you and your family!
About Carmen Sognonvi
Carmen Sognonvi is a luxury family travel and lifestyle digital influencer at Top Flight Family. Her insights on travel have been featured in Wanderlust Travel Magazine, TravelPulse, HOTELS Magazine, Seatrade Cruise News and more. Carmen firmly believes that you can (and should) travel with your kids from a young age. She offers families practical solutions for travel, as well as tips on how to travel in luxury for less. She lives in New York City with her multiracial and multicultural family of four. Follow her on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Click here to read Carmen's articles